The battery is used in various devices like radio, tape recorders, calculators, Remotes, and even EVs. If you're a writer, professor, teacher, instructor, faculty member, researcher, scientist, doctor, or student looking to know the different types of batteries, you've come to the right place. Electrochemical cells and batteries are available in many types. Even though there are many other classifications of batteries, the following are the two types of batteries.
- A primary battery is also known as a non-rechargeable battery.
- A secondary battery is also known as a rechargeable
Primary batteries are called non-rechargeable batteries as they cannot be recharged with power or wall outlets. Secondary batteries are called rechargeable batteries, as they can recharge with the help of both power and wall outlets.
Perfect Energy Storage
2 times battery life, consumes 50% less space, needs no maintenance & takes 60% less recharge time
Primary batteries are ideal for lightweight, compact and handy electronics or devices such as old radios, cameras, torchlights, etc. They will not be able to recharge themselves again right after their battery health is depleted; they are usually thrown away as it will not be possible to use them again. In addition, the advantages of using a primary battery are that they are inexpensive, very convenient, and even lightweight, so they do not require any maintenance.
Single-cell types are the most common type of battery used in home applications. Alkaline batteries, for example, are typically cylindrical.
The primary battery is available in various sizes and shapes, such as the coin shapes found in coin cell batteries. Coin cell batteries are often found in microphones, torchlights, wall clocks, and remote controllers.
Second batteries can be recharged and even reused, which the primary batteries cannot. That is why a secondary battery is also called a rechargeable battery. The greatest advantage of a rechargeable battery is that they also have a much longer lifespan.
Applications of a Secondary or a rechargeable battery:
- It can be used as an energy storage device.
- It may function as a standalone replacement battery for the primary battery and devices powered by it simultaneously.
- Rechargeable batteries serve as a backup power supply for PCs with the help of UPS.
- A rechargeable battery powers even hybrid electric cars.
- Rechargeable batteries are often found in mobile phones, laptops, and electrical vehicles.
Even after completely discharging the secondary battery, it can also be recharged and reused as the charging mechanism is reversible.
Types of Rechargeable battery
1. Nickel – Cadmium Batteries: These are some of the older battery kinds. They are also very much cheap as they have issues with memory. It is very important to completely drain these batteries before recharging them again to have the highest performance.
2. Nickel–Metal Hydride Batteries: They are a new battery kind that is a more advanced variant of nickel-hydrogen electrode batteries. But they are usually expensive, and they have no problems charging or discharging them simultaneously. Since it is very common to find these batteries, you won't have a problem finding the chargers and their availability.
3. Lithium-ion: Lithium-ion solves the major shortcomings of both nickel-cadmium and nickel-metal-hydride batteries. Li-ion batteries are lightweight and compact energy sources with a higher power density that can be utilized for various purposes.
How to choose the right battery?
When you are considering choosing a battery, it is important. Consider both performance and cost as the main factors, Apart from other factors like.
- Whether the battery is primary or secondary
- How long can it last?
- Warranty and life of the battery
- What will its energy ratings be?
- What will be the charging capacity?
- And finally, the ideal battery and operating temperature.
Okay, we've explored all the different types of batteries and how to find & choose the right battery! Please feel free to share these battery types and help others choose the right battery.